Hi folks, this is DaveTs (David Broto) and I am Technical Director here at Snowpeak Studio and kind of the project manager, in the lack of that position. I’m going to start the dev blog series by explaining a little bit what have we done up until today and how things are going currently.
A brief history
We started working actively in Blood Ancestors on October last year (2016). Yes, we’ve been working on the game for just six months now. We started working almost in a crunch state since we wanted to develop a technical demo for the Fun & Serious Festival in Bilbao, Spain.
This festival is one of the most important in our country also one of the oldest.
The first playable version of Blood Ancestors was something really simple. We only had the Templar in place and the game mechanics were way different from what we have right now.
We designed very tactical melee combat; it was really slow compared to the actual one. We wanted to add some skill based melee combat by adding directional attacks with a pre-charge on every hit, increasing the damage depending on the load time, etc.
The skills and the design were really odd (when we look back at old clips from that version we laugh very hard) — you had to press the key for the skill, then click on the right mouse button and after that you would see a cast bar which took more time depending on the skill and finally the actual skill was launched.
Very dynamic, isn’t it? Even with such complicated mechanics people really enjoyed the way the skills acted and how they felt. Personally I think that our skills are interesting and slightly funny.
In December we came back from the F&S festival and we started to play our “competitors” or quite similar games (Overwatch, Paladins). We learned that we were totally wrong with our concept, which led to us eliminating the casting system and revamping the melee combat. We then increased the game's speed. We are really proud of what we have built. For now we have a really fast paced game, that is really skill-dependent and, most importantly, a fun game.
From January to today we’ve been working on adding new classes; we are currently at three out of 18. We also changed our BAAS from Gamesparks to Playfab, which is far friendlier for me to work with and allows us to host our own game servers.
We will be posting weekly updates from the team on our own website and here. Thank you for reading!